Wednesday, January 28, 2009

DEAR PEP: How do I explain being laid off?

DEAR PEP:
I just found out that I got laid off a couple of hours ago. And here’s my question: I'd been applying for other jobs since November because of my "Devil Wears Prada" boss. One of those companies is a health care industry custom publishing company in town. Had a really, really good phone interview and completed an editing test way before it was due. I told them my current company was kind of on shaky ground and that I was conflicted about all the ad-driven editorial. I emailed them Friday morning, before I found out about our layoffs, under the premise of seeing whether they needed references, etc. They wrote back saying they were still in the interviewing process (if I was out of the running, I figured they might not reply).

The company was going to be hiring several editors and told me they wanted to fill the positions ASAP because they're growing quickly,etc. Would it help or hinder if I emailed them to tell them about the layoffs? Being that I'm local and available immediately, would that work in my favor? Or might they think I'm less competent since I was laid off (even though they knew that there is turmoil within my company)?Among the newly unemployed

Dear Among: Given that you just emailed them on Friday, I would leave them alone for a while. You already expressed your interest, did well in interviews, and they know you are local and the benefits that means. And, yes, their reply that they are still in the process likely means you are still in the running. I would be aggressive in the pursuit of other opportunities,though. Sadly, right now this is a buyer's market.

Lots of great people have been laid off and most employers understand that, so being out of a job right now really does not mean what it once did.  And, when it is time to talk with a potential employer about your status, simply say, "I was one of 25 laid off at Bonehead Publishing." Don't apologize or overexplain. It's a fact, not a fault.

DEAR PEP: Thanks.  I've been thinking of starting an unemployment blog (there's shockingly few of them it seems) for recently laid off writers, or creatives of any stripe.

A friend and I have often compared the job-seeking process to dating books like "The Rules" and "He's Just Not That Into You." You have to seem interested, but not TOO interested, which leaves you playing hard-to-get. And if the first interview is like the first date, you
have to make a good impression, but you can't pester your date/HR person in following it up. And sometimes you have to do what I just did, which was find somebody to talk me out of sending another email (or text or phone call in the dating realm). Then, getting laid off is the equivalent of getting divorced -- once you're back out there
looking, you've got baggage to disguise.

Hmm...I think I just wrote myself an outline for a self-help book!

Remind me to ask you later how not to burn bridges during a recession.

No comments: