Tuesday, April 21, 2009

DEAR PEP: Can I Trust a Grant-Funded Job?

The job search is starting to be a bit more fruitful. I had an interview last week that I felt hopeful about and I have one lined up at a local university next week, for an academic journal.  It would be super convenient commute-wise and I'd get the benefits of working at a university, but the only thing that worries me is the disclaimer they put on the position listing, which reads: 

"This position is funded by an external grant source. If the grant terminates for any reason, or if the grant funding is lost or reduced for any reason, employment with the university will be immediately discontinued."

Is this standard or common at academic journals and publications? Is it worrisome? I realize trade and consumer magazines are in similar situations right now but don't have the guts to advertise that in a job posting. And no publication is 100 percent stable, so I get that. But should I beware? Hopefully it's not as stark as it sounds, and i appreciate their being upfront.
         —Hopeful About the Search

DEAR HOPEFUL

The grant could last forever; it could be gone in a few months.  That’s pretty much the same thing you could say about many media outlets, as you say.  It sounds like an excellent opportunity, and I would embrace it enthusiastically, for as long as it might last.  You will be gaining excellent experience and contacts.  Increasingly, university programs are funded by outside sources, so this is pretty common. Good luck.

No comments: