Tuesday, April 21, 2009

DEAR PEP: Should I Go To Grad School?

BoldI am planning on going to graduate school to make me more qualified (and desirable) in such abysmal times. I have also thought about teaching journalism at college one day as well. Regardless, I am interested in attending a graduate school that will advance my skills, boost my resume, and prepare me for the future.

In all honesty, is a Master’s in Communications a truly beneficial addition formy career in magazine journalism--or is it not needed?

I would appreciate a realistic list of graduate schools I should apply for. I would also just like to discuss the preparation needed for the GRE and applying to schools in general. It seems like most deadlines for application are next winter.                     —Drake junior

DEAR JUNIOR 

Realistically, a graduate degree seldom helps you unless it is in something that expands your B.A.  (Or if you have a B.A. in sociology or something similar and want to get up to speed.) You could make important contacts in graduate school, which could help your job prospects. Still, you could get the same from an entry level job.  Employers will hire you for what you can do for them, not for the degree you hold.

As for suggestions, you have a great many excellent schools to choose from. For master’s that offer additional journalism preparation, I would start with Columbia, Berkeley and Northwestern.The M.S. At Columbia is highlypractical and has some great opportunities in new media work, but much of it repeats what we do at Drake.  And Northwestern's graduate program is also sort of redundant of what you will already have done at Drake, especially in magazines, but their Integrated Marketing Communications program does provide you with a difference perspective and could broaden your horizons. Berkeley is also very pragmatic.  

If, however, you want to teach, I would suggest biting the bullet and getting a Ph.D.  I am not convinced good teachers need a Ph.D., but many schools require it. Fortunately, Drake does not.

For a Ph.D., I would consider some of the biggies:The University of North Carolina, Stanford, Columbia, Ohio State, the University of Illinois. Missouri offers an integrated Ph.D/law program that is sort of intriguing.

Application deadlines vary, but most are in the winter.  The best prep for the GRE is to sleep well the night before.  There are preparation programs, some online, but I doubt you need that. You might revisit some math problems, as that is what usually kills journalism students.

I repeat, though, if you want to be a practicing journalist, grad school is not really the route to take.  There will be entry level jobs for you out there.  The field will be competitive in this economy, but a Drake education will prepare you well.

Don't head to grad school out of fear.

No comments: