Tuesday, February 19, 2008

How to post samples online

Tracey (Doyle) Gorrell (’96), asks:

I've noticed more demand in the marketplace for an electronic or online portfolio to show and attract potential employers. Do you (or any other alums) have any suggestions or advice in this area? I work primarily in print, have never been a web designer (and never wanted to be one). Surely, there's a better solution than attaching a bunch of loose and random PDFs to an e-mail.

I asked alums, and their answers are in the next post. Tracey, though, answered her own question pretty well. That’s what I love about Drake grads!  (Tracey is a graphic designer/marketing coordinator for Syngenta Flowers in Lisle, Illinois.)  Her answer:

I did some poking around, stumbling upon coroflot.com and Creativehotlist. I was familiar with Creativehotlist as a job board, but didn't realize designers could post their portfolios there.

Between those two sites, I'm leaning toward Coroflot because I think the site looks a bit more professional and better organized. I posted a question to LinkedIn Answers and got a couple of responses from designers who recommended Coroflot, but I would also be interested to hear from any Drake alums who've used it.

PEP asks: So, has anybody out there used Coroflot? What do you think?

No comments: