Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sending samples to editors

So, let’s continue the discussion about online portfolios. I chatted with four Drake alums, who provided some great perspective on how to manage samples and queries online.

This discussion is with:
• Amanda Repine (’02), senior producer, BHG.com.
Samantha Thorpe (’95), editor, Country Gardens magazine.
Lou Rocco Centrella (’00), designer and writer.
• Catherine Staub (MA '97), founder of Lexicon Consulting.


PEP: If a writer or designer does not have a Web site and wants to approach an editor electronically, how best to do that? Send a representative attachment or two? How many attachments are too many?

AMANDA: I would send a file or two (keep it small or zip it so you don’t clog the person’s inbox) with a note that she can send more samples upon request.

SAM: I request 2–3 clips to be sent as attachments in an e-mail from an editor. I prefer to see one long piece and one short to get a sense of their writing style. That leaves me the option to ask for more. Of course, attaching a resume as well is a good idea. The clips should relate as close as possible to home/garden content in my case.

LOU: Quick advice:
~Keep attachments to a minimum.
~Use a low DPI for email attachments unless printing is a necessity.
~Don't send attachments over 5 megabyte. Under 1 megabyte is ideal to
people you do not know.
~Technical mumbo jumbo: GMail (Google) allows attachments up to 20
megabytes but they're one of the least restrictive. Some email
providers won't allow attachments over 1 megabyte. In these case you
can compress files with a ZIP program and split attachments across
emails, but this means the recipient would have to piece it back
together (not ideal).

CATHERINE: My preference is looking at a Web site. If someone doesn’t have a Web site and approaches me electronically the most I’ll look at is 2 attachments with an initial inquiry. If I like what I see, I may request to see more. But I don’t want unsolicited inquiries with a bunch of attachments.



PEP: Is it time for me to tell folks to get a Web site? New grads, of course, have all kinds of Web goodies. Even people who graduated 6-7 years ago, though, are behind in Web skills. They’re still doing fine in a print world, but who knows if that will continue. (The future of the media, however, is not what I would like to discuss right now.)

AMANDA: While I think it’s very beneficial to have a Web site for potential employers or clients to access (esp. if you’re aiming for potential clients) it could also harm you more to have a poorly constructed web site than to not have a web site at all. If you’re in doubt of your web skills and really want a web site, hire out your professional site. If you want to gain new skills in web design, keep another site where you can play and develop pages.

LOU: I would say yes, a Web site is ideal for everyone. When I send a resume or a sample, people want to know more information about me. I would prefer to point them to my website where I control the content instead of them searching the web for God knows what they'll find. On the website you can put up previous articles, samples and other information about yourself.

SAM:: I think a Web site is a great idea. I need one myself. But I think when you contact an editor, it’s still a good idea to attach one clip and then give the Web address. That way I know the person is trying to make it as easy as possible for me to check them out. The Web site should be easy to use and simple to navigate. The “clips” section should be simple to find.



PEP: Those of you with Web savvy, is there anything on the Internet that is an easy first step for less savvy people who want at least a basic page with some simple samples? Where do these people start?

AMANDA: There are hundreds of sites that will tell you how to create Web pages – do a Google search, find a free place to learn (freewebs.com) and just start playing around. A blog is another great way to learn new technology.

If you’re serious about creating a professional site, surf the web for sites you admire and compile a list or urls. Talk to a web-savvy person and find out what kinds of technology are being utilized for the sites. There may be a basic components you could pull onto your own site with little effort or skill. More complicated code could require hiring a professional developer to create the features you want.

LOU: I recommend Google Pages . It's free and the page builder is easy to use. There are pre-built templates (Think PowerPoint) but it's also flexible enough to get more advanced with HTML code. You get a lot of space (100 megabytes) to post all the documents and photos you desire.

3 comments:

Nourisha said...

I recommend everyone have a web page. Hosting is so inexpensive and it's a tax deductible work expense for five years, so why not get your own page. You can display your work and give potential employers a better feel for who you are and why you are such a rock star. I use Yahoo! web hosting and it works just fine. I'm adding samples of my work to mine now, but you can check it out at www.copywritingace.com if you want. It's just a template and took five minutes to complete!

Patricia Prijatel said...

Nourisha: Great to hear from you!!!!!!!! Thanks for the suggestion. Your site looks great--I love the picture. And I like how you put your blog information into categories. I couldn't find any samples of your work, though. Can you post samples on this type of site? PEP

Anonymous said...

I will be adding the samples this weekend. Took me a while to create the images and scan things. Check back in two weeks and it should be completely ready! And I love reading your blog!