Saturday, February 28, 2009

New Media Tools for Journalists--What I Learned

"Google is the new resume; your URL is the new business card," said Andy Drish as we began talking about blogs. Andy and Mike Sansone of Converstations.com  were part of the A Journalist's Guide to New Media workshop at Drake University February 28, 2009.  Earlier, Nathan Wright of Lava.row and Chris Snider of the Des Moines Register  offered insight on this rapidly evolving field, including these points:

Google.docs can help keep documents organized online. I work on three computers, so I can put all my documents together in cyberspace. I suppose they're safe unless cyberspace crashes.

Registering your blog at technorati.com can help you get more readers.

www.helpareporter.com is a clearing house that connects reporters and sources. Not sure of this one.  I am unconvinced that this is the way to find experts for my health articles.

If your pix are on something like Flickr.com, you can edit them online are picnik.com or photoshop.com. Wonder why Photo Shop is free here?

Pageflakes is a great way to organize all your information.

You can use Simplynoise.com to add white noise on your computer in a noisy office. Cool.

Rememberthemilk.com helps you make personal lists and, presumably, follow them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a blast today. I think I learned more than the people in the audience. :)

Thanks for coming!

Patricia Prijatel said...

Andy: Come back to Drake any time! We all thoroughly enjoyed your insights.