Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ask PEP: How do I survive an acquisition?

I found out today that my magazine is being shuttered because of our recent acquisition. They want me to be considered for a senior/managing editor job for a sister publication based out of the same office. The editor apparently likes my work and wants to give me latitude to add some life to the magazine. It's called Dull As Dirt•, and it's as dull as it sounds. It would be a pay raise, though. And I'd get to stay put and at least job hunt later if I don't like it. I just really, really loved my current boss and the hot air•• industry and all the perks and bonuses and junkets that went with it. I'll have to find out if there's a way to get around non-compete policies and maybe freelance for the other hot air books just for fun. Or maybe I'll just have to take up a fun new hobby, or pursue other areas of journalism in my free time. 

Is the rest of the publishing industry in the tank right now too? Are editors often thrown into completely foreign beats? Successfully? How long do I give it before I jump ship? I guess it's a good way to diversify my resume.

I think I'm going to look for some wine!  —Not Dull in Illinois

[• I made that up: PEP. •• And that.]


PEP: The industry is, in fact, in quite a flux. The Web is taking over more and more; the economy has publishers frightened; advertisers are too often allowed editorial control and have never been known for the publishing acumen; and all this had led to the death of some formerly strong magazines. Conde Nast, in fact, just announced the final death knoll of the venerable HG, which had been struggling but was finally killed off because of Conde Nast’s acquisition of Architectural Digest. This was a bit of a twist—usually the magazines that are acquired are the most at risk, not those already in the publisher’s line.

Anyway, hang on for a while and see how the dust settles. You are right to check into the non-compete and see what freelancing is out there.  It is always good to have another outlet.  I think that is one reason blogging has become so popular.  It has a quicker turn-around than gardening and doesn't give you poison ivy.   It stinks when something wonderful goes sour, so you have my sympathies. I am truly sorry to say that you are not alone, however.   

Still, this is far from hopeless. It sounds like you are well respected in the company, and that is nothing to take lightly. I mean that very, very seriously. And, yes, editors are often thrown into completely new territory. Some thrive, some settle, some founder. It just depends on a variety of things, but you seem to have the ingredients there to thrive. If not, you have an enhanced resume that helps you go elsewhere. Don’t move too quickly, and especially do not move out of fear. Try to make your moves toward something exciting and challenging rather than away from something unpleasant.

And consider meditation or yoga rather than wine. Namaste.

No comments: